How to Find Us
Padmaloka main entrance is Lesingham House, the first on the right on the lane called The Covey. The entrance to the Padmaloka car park is 100 yards before the right-hand turn into The Covey.
Taxi from Norwich
ABC Taxis 01603 666333 and Goldstar Taxis 01603 700700 are reliable and cost £15-£16.
Book in advance and ask for Lesingham House.
If coming by train, please ask for a car at least 5 minutes after your train is due, and ring again if your train is delayed.
Taxis from outside the station are more expensive and do not need to be booked in advance.
Padmaloka will coordinate and book taxis at the end of the retreat.
Local Bus from Norwich
Service 85 (Anglian Bus) from Norwich to Surlingham departs from Norwich Bus Station, situated off Surrey Street and Queens Road, NR1 3NX, Stand L.
The bus stop is on the other side of the city from the rail station – allow 20 minutes for the uphill walk.
The bus journey takes about 30 minutes. Ask the driver to let you off at Lesingham House. If you will be arriving when it's dark then please consider bringing a torch as there are no street lights between the bus stop and Padmaloka.
For full timetable Click here.
Note: there are no buses on Sundays or Bank holidays.
Train to Norwich
Direct trains from London, Liverpool, Sheffield, Peterborough, etc., and good connections elsewhere. For national rail timetables Click here.
It is sometimes significantly cheaper to book in advance, and sometimes cheaper to get split tickets, with a break at Peterborough.
From the train station, either a 20-minute walk uphill to the bus station, stand K for the number 85, or take a taxi.
Megabus run cheap coach services to Norwich bus station. Mega Bus website
National Express also run coach services to Norwich bus station. Book on National Express or ring 08705 80 80 80
Then take a local bus 85 from stand K, or take a taxi (see above).
Padmaloka is off the A146 Norwich to Lowestoft road. Follow the signs to Kirby Bedon, Bramerton and Surlingham.
Coming south-east from Norwich, ¼ mile after the A47 bypass, turn sharp left, through Kirby Bedon, along the Bramerton Road for about 3 miles. At the beginning of Bramerton, at the white gates where road takes sharp right bend, turn left to Surlingham. Follow the main road through to Surlingham for another 2 miles (increasingly narrow and wiggly). At the bottom of the hill, after a few houses and the turning to the church, follow the (main) road as it takes a sharp right bend, and then left, up Walnut Hill into the main village.
You pass the school on your right, and the village pond on your left. After 200 yards, at the sharp right bend (towards Rockland St Mary), turn left into The Green. 100 yards before the end of this straight road is the gate into the Padmaloka car park: please park here. For the main gate, go to the end, and turn sharp right into The Covey, – there’s a small sign to Ted Ellis Nature Reserve. Padmaloka is immediately the first gate on the right – marked Lesingham House.
Grid reference for the car park entrance: TG 31933 06475
From Norwich Airport we suggest a taxi to Padmaloka (ABC Taxis £20-25), or a local bus into Norwich and another bus out.
Gatwick, Heathrow & Luton airports are also within reach of Norwich by coach and train (change in London).
Before a retreat
On a retreat, you have the opportunity to make real Dharmic progress in very conducive conditions, to make the best use of these please:
- Arrive having read the study material if it is a study retreat: your booking confirmation will detail essential reading.
- Turn off and put away electronic devices on arrival at Padmaloka.
- Let others know you are unavailable - it is a requirement that you do not phone or message others during the retreat. (You can give Padmaloka’s phone numbers in an emergency - 01508 538 112 (9:15am – 5pm) and 01508 538076 (out of hours).
- Let us know if you need to leave before the end of a retreat, or if you plan to arrive late.
- Abstain from smoking, drugs, alcohol and sex during the retreat.
- Arrive from 4:00 pm onwards. You can check in at the check-in desk from around 4:30 pm, and the retreat starts fully at 6:30 pm. It ends at 10:15 am on the final day, (weekend events end at 2.30 pm).
- Let us know if you have a restricted diet due to medical reasons when you book. We provide a balanced, tasty vegan diet.
For more information click here Coming on Retreat.