How to Find Us
Arriving by car: see full details below. Padmaloka main entrance is Lesingham House, the first on the right on the lane called The Covey. The entrance to the Padmaloka car park is 100 yards before the right-hand turn into The Covey.
If you need to leave before the end of a retreat, or arrive late please contact Padmaloka beforehand.
Taxi from Norwich
Kestral Taxis 01603 666611 are friendly and reliable and offer a special rate of £10/11.
Book in advance and ask for Lesingham House.
If coming by train, please ask for a car at least 5 minutes after your train is due, and ring Kestral again if your train is delayed, as they can no longer wait in the station car park.
Please help them, as they help us a lot.
Cabs from outside the station are more expensive (£16/17), and do not need to be booked in advance.
Padmaloka will co-ordinate and book taxis at the end of a retreat.
Local Bus from Norwich
Revised September 2013. Service 85 (Anglian Bus) from Norwich to Surlingham departs from Norwich Bus Station, situated off Surrey Street and Queens Road, NR1 3NX, Stand L.
The bus stop is the other side of the city from the rail station – allow 20 minutes for uphill walk.
The bus journey takes about 30 minutes. Ask the driver to let you off at Lesingham House.
Variable charge from £3.50.
Mon – Sat 09.05, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.35, 16.15, 17.15, 18.15
The last bus back from Padmaloka is at 17:51
Note: there are no buses on Sundays or Bank holidays. For full timetable click here.. If you miss the last bus, the Kestral Taxis office is about 5 minutes walk from the bus station, 6 Ber St.
Train to Norwich
Direct trains from London, Liverpool, Sheffield, Peterborough, etc., and good connections elsewhere. For national rail timetables Click here.
It is sometimes significantly cheaper to book in advance, and sometimes cheaper to get separate tickets, with a break at Peterborough!
From the train station, either a 20 minute walk uphill to the bus station, stand K for the number 85, or take a taxi.
Megabus run a cheap coach services to Norwich bus station. Mega Bus website
National Express also run coach services to Norwich bus station. Book on National Express or ring 08705 80 80 80
Then take a local bus 85 from stand K, or take a taxi (see above).
Padmaloka is off the A146 Norwich to Lowestoft road. Follow the signs to Kirby Bedon, Bramerton and Surlingham.
More details: coming south-east from Norwich, ¼ mile after the A47 bypass, turn sharp left, through Kirby Bedon, along the Bramerton Road for about 3 miles. At the beginning of Bramerton, at the white gates where road takes sharp right bend, turn left to Surlingham. Follow the main road through to Surlingham for another 2 miles (increasingly narrow and wiggly). At the bottom of the hill, after a few houses and the turning to the church, follow the (main) road as it takes a sharp right bend, and then left, up Walnut Hill into the main village.
You pass the school on your right, and the village pond on your left. After 200 yards, at the sharp right bend (towards Rockland St Mary), turn left into The Green. 100 yards before the end of this straight road is the gate into the Padmaloka car park: please park here. For the main gate, go to the end, and turn sharp right into The Covey, – there’s a small sign to Ted Ellis Nature Reserve. Padmaloka is immediately the first gate on the right – marked Lesingham House. [There are no street lights, but its easier than it sounds!]
Some sat-navs and internet route planners suggest a different route to Bramerton & Surlingham, using very narrow lanes. Our directions use better roads!
Grid reference for the car park entrance: TG 31933 06475
Destinations from Norwich include Aberdeen, Amsterdam (with many connections), Croatia, Edinburgh, Exeter, Geneva, Ibiza, Jersey, Lake Garda, Majorca, Malta, and Manchester.
From Norwich Airport we suggest a taxi to Padmaloka (Kestral Taxis £16), or a local bus into Norwich and another bus out.
Gatwick, Heathrow & Luton airports are also within reach of Norwich by coach and train (change in London).
Before a retreat
On a retreat you have the opportunity to make real dharmic progress in very conducive conditions, and an important internal condition is that you
- For study retreats, please arrive prepared having read your study material: your booking confirmation will detail essential reading.
- Put aside digital distractions such as mobiles, tablets etc and newspapers, magazines, music, and novels
- Let others know you are unavailable, and resist the temptation to phone or text during the retreat. (You could change outgoing voice-mail message on your mobile, saying you are unavailable, and give Padmaloka’s phone number in emergency 01508 538 112).
- Retreats begin with the evening meal on the first evening at 6:30pm and end at 1.30pm on the final day, (weekend events end at 2.30pm). People generally start arriving from 4:00pm onwards, and the check-in desk in the lounge opens at 4.45pm. If you think you will be late arriving, or if you need to leave early, please contact us beforehand.
- We provide a balanced, tasty vegan diet. If you need a special diet for medical reasons, please see the options on the booking form.
- Abstain from smoking, drugs, alcohol and sex during the retreat. See also our Retreat Terms of Service.